Monday, September 16, 2013

To cheat or not to cheat

Plagiarism is a tricky, fine line that I am sure we have all walked at least once, weather intentional or not.  I have never knowingly done it myself, but after reading that there are in fact two types of plagiarism, intentional and unintentional, I feel that I may have come close in the past.  As we learned preparing for our first blog, having my own voice may be the key to this.  I have always wanted to write in a very formal style that I felt was expected in a research paper.  I believe this lead me into coming close to that line.  The more I would think on a subject, the more the research overcame me and my own personal voice became hidden.   Both of our reading assignments had tips on avoiding plagiarism.  It is very important to record all aspects of the quote or passage so you can reference back to it and insure you have either cited it or quoted it.  You must also be careful how you lead into the information to keep its integrity.  I had never thought of the mistrust that plagiarism could bring with it.  It is not just steering, but lying as well.

I must say that I am blessed to have very wonderful parents who taught me not to steal.  I was the kid in school that never cut class b/c I was so afraid of getting caught.  When I even think someone might assume I did something immoral, I get so sick to my stomach.  I can only hope that I have raised my own children to be honest people.

No comments:

Post a Comment