Monday, September 30, 2013

hmmmm.......A Modest Proposal?

I must admit, I get satire, but I can't write.  While reading A Modest Proposal, I have to wonder how shocking this was in its day.  I wonder if anyone actually thought Mr. Swift was serious or just plain crazy.  There is plenty of satire in our modern world and it can be pretty shocking as well.  I think satire is funny.  Movies like Dogma appeal to me.  I think it takes a pretty creative person to take a very serious topic and twist it in such a way that humor somehow makes an appearance.  As I started to research my paper this week, I have found my point shifting slightly.  What started out as figuring out why sexuality has taken over American culture has evolved into Sex Sells and the Modern Media.  Why does our media/entertainment push the negative images out there and make them seem cool only to turn the next second and say how morally wrong our country is?  The more i think about, the more I want my own children to learn to respect themselves and not fall into this trap.  Where is the line when young teens are portraying sex on the screen one minute and then bashing the higher teen pregnancy rates the next.  I am still struggling to decide on the theme for my paper, but I am very comfortable with my topic.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great so far! You mentioned Dogma. Have you seen what is often considered as the first Dogme 95 film: Celebration or "Festen?" It is dark but fascinating! It is truly one of the most interesting films I have ever seen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Celebration

    ReplyDelete